Friday 30 December 2022

War of the Austrian Succession Campaign - Table ready

It didn't occur to me that I had created the wrong impression about the campaign. Here are a few pictures which will explain what I am planning, as well was showing the set-up. Battles will be fought out on this table (all the 'action') taking place within a hex.

The campaign that inspired me on the Polemos blog was a campaign played on a table. In fact a whole war. One end of the table was Denmark, the other was Russia. This one stretches from France to Prussia and central Germany to northern Italy.

Austrian heartlands from the south. Danube at the bottom and the Elbe and Oder running northeast respectively. The Prussians are parading in Potsdam at the top !

Bohemia, Saxony and Prussia from the south. Prague at the bottom (the one building model in the correct place!) That's Dresden beyond the wooded 'mountains' - the Saxons are waiting for an opportunity.

France looking from Paris towards Strassburg. The French have two large armies, each with a siege train. Other major powers only have 1 siege train each. The problem for the French is they have 3 possible fronts - the Low Countries, Germany and Italy.

Talking of Italy, here's the view from the south. Florence nearest the edge.Venice top right with an Austrian force just beyond. Turin in the middle by 'the Alps' with the small Piedmontese army. Munich beyond the mountains with a small Bavarian army. A slightly bigger Spanish army is waiting at the bottom. 

The whole 'map' looking from the west to the east.

Anyway, it's now past 4PM and lots of chores, prevarications and preparations mean I am only now ready to start. Wish me luck!

12 comments:

  1. This looks interesting as an example of operational Wargaming with miniatures. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks brilliant, I really like it! Hope it plays well ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I got a couple of hours in before dinner. I got to the end of 1741 with lots of stops to come up with new rules and write them up, plus prep turn and city trackers. Maybe another 6 hours should see it finished.
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Sounds like it is going well so far Chris. Good luck with the next six hours or so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting to see this developing. I ran the GNW as just a wargame, with the turns as turns as in the normal wargame rules. I ran my ECW in an Afternoon as a bit more of a strategic game, and it didn't work as well, I thought, although that might have been a lack of preparation on my part. Writing down the rules as you go is a good idea, though :).
    Enjoy, and I'll look forward to your report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I misunderstood the GNW game. As it happens, a happy accident as I seem to be developing a map/board campaign game. The siege section is bigger than the battle section, which is totally unplanned, but understandable.
      Chris/Nundanket

      Delete
  5. I did not expect to see this played out like this, rather more on the map from your previous post. However this approach is really much nice and look forward to seeing how it all pans out:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone Steve. It's a lesson in writing - I failed to re-read my draft looking at it from the reader's point of view. The map was just the way of designing the whole thing.
      It could be converted to a map game, but with more record keeping. I'm not into graphics packages which might help with the images.

      Delete
  6. The table is looking very interesting. Thank for sharing your campaign with us.

    ReplyDelete