Thursday 29 December 2022

The Wars of the Austrian Succession - a campaign in a few days

OK. This is going to be both ambitious and relatively ad hoc.  I have had this in the back of my mind since the Polemarch wrote about his Great Northern War in an afternoon. At the time I made a couple of comments along the following lines (with slight tweaks this evening).

Objective ‘cities’ that the powers have to hold at the end to win points.

  • Austria: must hold Breslau, Munich and Florence.
  • France: Brussels, Munich and one Italian city.
  • Prussia: Magdeburg, Breslau and Dresden.
  • Britain/Pragmatic Army: Antwerp, Brussels and Liege.
Loss of a ‘city’ during the game means a loss of influence, I.e. base(s).

Also, an idea from the board game Maria is to play the struggle between France and Austria for control of the Imperial Crown by ‘winning’ the majority of the 9 Electors. This second idea might make the game too complicated. When does the clock stop ticking on this and what effect does controlling the Emperor have.

The Map

I drew up a stylised hex map of the middle strip of Europe with France and the Austrian Netherlands in the west, Italy in the south, Germany in the north and Austria to the east. Here it is. The Alps are in black, and other ranges/forests in green.











Rules

What remains is to decide on the rules for movement, the size of the armies, army replenishment and of course combat. Here are my thoughts:

Turns

Each turn represents 1 month?

Campaign season is from April to November, except 1740 which starts in October.

Might have to revise this as that adds up to about 60 turns. Still, I have 4 more days off work.....

Movement

Open hex: 1 hex per turn

Cross rivers: 2 turns (or maybe dice instead to see if a crossing is successful?)

Cross forest/mountains: 2 turns (or 1 plus take a 'hit'?)

Alps and Adriatic/Ligurian Seas: impassible

Replenishment

Armies can sustain numbers based on the number of cities held.

France and Austria will have an extra allocation providing they hold certain key cities (e.g. Austria must hold 3 out of Vienna, Venice, Prague and Breslau: France must hold Paris and Strassburg).

Reinforcements start with any friendly army in the Spring, subject to there being an uninterrupted 'supply line'.

Size of Armies

This is a tricky one. Maybe 1 base per 20,000 in the army at the start. Prussia would get 4 bases. Maybe double that for France, and 1.5 for Austria.  Maybe 1 for Bavaria, Saxony, Piedmont etc and a couple for the Pragmatic Army.

Combat

This is even trickier. I suspect I'll start off with one system and it'll evolve through the game. Perhaps 5 points plus a D3 per base engaged, total up the points and determine the winner. Not sure how to determine losses yet. Loser to retreat 1 or 2 hexes depending on scale of defeat.

To capture cities will require siege trains. These will move at normal rate up rivers, double rate downstream. Otherwise they'll require a 3,4,5 or 6 on a D6 for normal hexes. Sieges will take 1 turn plus 1 turn on rolling a 3 or 4, or plus 2 turns on rolling a 5, or plus 3 turns on rolling a 6.


The table is set, bar putting on the rivers/seas.

****************************

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. As long as they don't involve going forth and multiplying.



13 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is easier to finesse the campaign rules as you go, rather than nail down all the rules upfront. Especially if you are playing solo. A couple suggestions on movement. Moving along a river could increase movement by one, and would treat mountain passes like rivers, 2 turns to cross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I’ll take that on board, especially as you have developed a lot of good solo campaigns.
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Looks like a very ambitious plan for a four-day, long weekend.

    I offer three suggestions:
    (1) Treat the campaign map as point-to-point. That way, forces only move from one point to another or along a path of connected points. Battles would only occur at one of these hubs when forces collide.

    (2) Do something similar to what Peter (the other Peter) from Blunders on the Danube does when running his campaigns in a day. https://blundersonthedanube.blogspot.com/p/campaigns-in-day.html.

    (3) Send me an email and I can send on some nifty maps of Europe that may provide exactly the detail needed for campaigning.

    I will be watching your campaign unfold with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this Jon. I took a look at Peter’s pages. The whole campaign map for my game is set out on the table. Each hex is tens of miles across, and battles will be highly abstracted affairs, and not just bathtubbed. I think Peter’s campaigns in a day generate more conventional, scaled down, battles.
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Very interesting, I look forward to seeing how it goes! One thing - at the cost of sacrificing the 'one day' aspect, might the battles generated on the map be used to generate table-top games? Terrain could be semi-randomly generated and armies created from a sort of 'army list' points system based on your nominal strengths..
    Anyway, enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David. Hope you had a good Christmas.
    It would be nice but, I think I have been unclear in my post. The campaign is being played on my wargames table so to have a conventional battle game would entail stripping it all down or having another table. The game is probably best described as a board campaign game on a table with figures.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, and sorry I misunderstood, have seen your later post and it looks great!

      Delete
    2. No worries, my fault because I didn’t make it clear. You weren’t the only one.
      Chris

      Delete
  5. Looks like it will be an interesting exercise Chris, I look forward to seeing how it all works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. There’s quite a lot in not happy with but it’s hit potential.
      Chris

      Delete
  6. I love your campaign. Do you know "Maria" the game by histogame? I think that it's a nice chance to play the WAS in 2-5 hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you André. Praise indeed.
      I LOVE the game Maria. I think it is a work of genius. It was part of my inspiration for this. In fact as I have this last day off work I will open up Maria and have another look for ideas.
      Chris

      Delete