Thursday 8 September 2022

Twilight of the Soldier Kings - Videos

I posted this link early last year when the Twilight of the Soldier Kings Rules were first flagged up to me. I've just re-watched them because I wanted to check I was doing things properly. The answer was 'yes, when I remembered everything'.

But I post the link again because I think it is well worth watching this set of videos (about 5 mins each) which take you through a sample game, turn-by-turn. They really are a splendid set of rules. If you want to  play games where you are Frederick, Ferdinand of even Charles of Lorraine (!) in charge of an army, then this ruleset is ideal in my opinion. After several games with them (without tweaking a thing!), I concluded that they are what I have been looking for for 30-odd years.


Hope that you give them a try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKL0f6EVP_g&list=PLyeJr0AbkfGWGpPJBBLWRdO3E1MEOHs6_&index=1

PS I have no links with Nick who produced the rules or with the Wyre Forest war-games group. Just someone who really appreciates what he's created.

10 comments:

  1. Great news that you have found the Holy Grail in rules. If the search is over, does this mean that games using Honors of War or Fields of Honor will no longer be enterained?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all Jon. I’ll still play any set. It’s just that TOTSK is my default setting for large battles. I might still even dig out WRG for old times sake.
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Not my period at all Chris, I am not sure why. None of the group that I game with has an SYW army, as far as I am aware. We do have WSS, FIW & AWI, so it's not an aversion to the eighteenth century lace wars. I even repurposed some SYW Prussians by Front Rank as German troops in the AWI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you’ve got WSS, F&IW and AWI you might as well fill in the gaps 😉
      Seriously though, the American wars have different flavours, terrain etc. to SYW. WSS on the face of it is very similar to SYW but in my opinion there are differences. For WSS I hear that the sister rules to Twilight of the Soldier Kings are very good - Twilight of the Sun King. There are videos on the same YouTube channel as the one above.
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Always good to have a goto set of rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I need to have a look at their ECW period rules.

      Delete
  4. Always great to find a set of rules that works perfectly for you! Not something that I am gaming at the moment but definitely on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have wanted to like Twilight of the Sun King more than I did. I found the rule book generated more questions than it answered. These videos go a long way towards getting me more enthusiastic, so many thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise you'd tried it Tony. Or more likely, I forgot. The videos are a good way to understand the rules. I find these days "show me, don't tell me" works better. I was able to play a game after watching the videos before I even bought the rules. I got things wrong, but I got more right. Might we see a hex version?

      Delete