Sunday 25 September 2022

The Devils in Skirts!

Off the painting desk, but not quite finished in terms of basing, come 7 bases of mid-18th century soldiers.

Murray's or the 42nd Foot ('the Black Watch'), aka the 3rd Foot & Mouth ('the Devils in Skirts'). I couldn't manage the tartan so have left them with blue/green kilts. I foolishly chose to do the Regimental colour because it has a nice buff field. It was foolish because I then had to try to paint the Union Flag in the canton. Irregular Miniatures figures.

The Bosniaken (Prussia's 'Bosnian Lancers'). Heroics and Ros has decided to portray them in the  same uniform as Minifigs did, which I think may be from the post-SYW period.

Irregular Miniatures horse grenadiers painted up (roughly) as 1st Troop, Horse Grenadier Guards. I haven't done the 'twiddly bits' on the standard yet. 

British 15th Light Dragoons. Again, standard is sans twiddly bits. Also Irregular Miniatures.

Dismounted French dragoons in forage caps. Again, these are Irregular Miniatures.

I'll finish the bases later today. Can't wait for the H&R order to arrive so I can really beef up les Anglais.

11 comments:

  1. You make impressive progress with an interesting mix of units. Painting Highlanders in 6mm? Sounds like something with a high degree of difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cheated by not painting the plaid pattern. Even to do a tiny spot of paint requires the consistency of the paint to be just right. Runny enough to come off the brush nicely but not runny enough to spread on the surface. I know what I need to do to improve the Union Flag on their colour though.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice progress Chris and I think one might be forgiven representing kilts with a generic dark blue/green in this scale....I don't suppose you will be doing the GR cipher on the front of the grenadiers miter caps, either?!😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn! I forgot the cipher. 😉

      Delete
  4. A great addition to the painted pile. I wouldn't even try to do tartan in 1:1 scale, let alone 6mm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! No. I wouldn’t like to get that close to a 1:1 scale kilt wearer.

      Delete
  5. They look great Chris and even in 10mm, I doubt I would do more than daub some paint on to give the impression of tartan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve. It’s almost better to have such small scale figures because there is no expectation of producing the plaid pattern.
      Chris

      Delete
  6. They look great, and Bosniak lancers etc are a nice piece of period exoticism. Such a shame the makers of tartan paint have not produced a 1:300 version..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. I think I’m going to have to invent a scenario to use the Bosniaken as I can’t think of a real big battle where they were present. Will have to consult Duffy.
      By the way, good call on the tartan paint. Wonder if Vallejo can be persuaded to produce it.
      Chris

      Delete