Wednesday 16 February 2022

The Hessians are coming!

Inspired by Steve’s Hubbardton posts on Sound Officers Call, I ordered some German infantry (grenadiers, musketeers and jägers). Naturally being a very balanced sort of person (‘a chip on both shoulders’ I hear someone say) I evened things up by ordering more Continentals (cocked hats and caps) and militia.

The hated mercenaries. Booo!


The King’s ungrateful rebellious subjects. Where’s Christopher Walken when you need him?

The painting stage is over. Most have been based. Not all, because I ran out of superglue, most of it ending up everywhere but where it was needed. I managed to glue my fingers to the glue tube, and figures to my fingers, but could I get all the little blighters stuck to the bases, upright, where I wanted them? Eventually yes. Eventually. I don’t have any finger prints at the moment though.

The Germans are in close order, 5 or 6 to a base, and the Continentals, like the British, in loose files at 4 to a base. Each base here representing a company sized formation. I’m deliberately using the term ‘German’ because at this scale, with my painting, they could be either Hessians or Brunswickers. No candy-striped pants. The models are actually Brunswickers from the Pendraken range, though I cannot discern any difference in the catalogue.

Rather conveniently, the Pendraken pack size (30 figures), padded out with NCOs from the command packs, is enough for a battalion. To that I add a command group on square bases.

Awaiting basing are the Jägers and militia. I experimented with grey acrylic spray primer for the Americans. Not sure I like it, though it did give better coverage than the black.


A couple of sessions to texture and paint the bases, and I should be ready to run Hubbardton at the weekend.

8 comments:

  1. Wow you’re cracking on with those matey. Nice one.

    Incidentally you are not the only one with superglue problems - I’ve had a right old game super gluing spears onto miniatures all afternoon. My clumsy hands of death are not suited to fine motor skills any more it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I paint, it’s a case of never mind the quality feel the width. Never had fine motor skills in the first place. ‘Cackhanded’ according to my brother. Probably right.

      Delete
  2. They look good to me and the beauty of this scale is that you can focus on the unit rather than each figure, which helps hide a multitude of sins;)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, ignore the TGM, got a bit confused about whose blog I was on...I would have deleted and reposted, but of course I can't see my comment because of the moderation setting....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, no worries! I’m not sure what day of the week it is.

      Delete