Friday 18 February 2022

A game of two halfs

First Half

I finished the latest batch of AWI figures. Ahead of schedule too. The Germans and Rebels have now been painted, based, flocked, flagged* and magnetised, and they are now sitting in their Ferrero Rocher boxes.

* Not the Germans. I don't have any flags for them but I have a plan.

Pics below are all pre-flag and magnet.

Jägers

Americans

German line and grenadiers

The collection now musters the following:

4 Continental regiments

3 Militia regiments

1 Rifle regiment

3 6-pounders (can be either side)

1 British Light battalion

2 British Line regiments

1 German Grenadier battalion (small)

1 German Musketeer battalion

1 Jäger battalion


15 light dragoons await paint.


Half Time (Digression)

As I'd run out of superglue and didn't want to put off finishing the basing, I glued the last couple of units to their bases with PVA. I don't think all are very secure in position. I expect one or two might prove to be 18th century ancestors of my brother's famous Subbuteo player from the early 1970s, Sir Stanley Dropbottom. The figure of Sir Stanley slotted into his plastic base, but unlike his teammates at Portable Rovers, he wasn't glued firmly in place. As a result, when flicked, he was wont to fly off in one direction, his base in another and the ball in yet a third, and entirely unpredictable direction. This made him no longer suited to an attacking roll, and Stan saw out the final years of his long and distinguished career in front of the defence. Sadly no photos of Sir Stanley exist now, but I was able to find the picture of his Scottish cousin below. 

Sir Stan played in 'Everton-style' blue back in the early 70s. Cousin Jimmy McDroperse is seen here in Celtic colours. 

When the club chairman/manager/striker/fanbase lost interest in what today would be called 'the project', the hallowed turf of Portable Road was torn up and was used as a battle mat by the chairman's younger brother. But legends never die. Years later at Blundell Park, a cry of 'Sir Stanley Dropbottoooom!' would go up if a ball went at right angles to the kicker's intended direction. 


Second Half

Earlier this evening I listened in on the Helion 'virtual book launch' for Don Hagist's These Distinguished Corps, and very interesting it was too.  The subject of the book are the British light and grenadier battalions of the War of Independence, with the author taking a ground-up, very granular approach. He explained he likes to find out about the individual soldiers and their experiences. One very useful type of document he cites are the records of soldiers' pension petitions, as these set out the men's career paths, origins, trade, and injuries. The book also explains the method of fighting adopted by the light and grenadier battalions. I'm very tempted to get this.

https://www.helion.co.uk/book-launches.php?sid=67feff39f211d876fc9c4d0c5c07a251

The author also runs a blog specifically about the British ORs, which I have jumped into yet:

http://redcoat76.blogspot.com

12 comments:

  1. Troops are mustering to the colors. Well, once the colors arrive!

    Subbuteo. Now that brings back memories of games probably 40 years ago. Great fun. I still have my set around the house somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that does surprise me Jon...I did not think "Soccer" would have had a lot of appeal to an American lad!

      Delete
  2. Ahh Subbuteo! Loved it. I remember having little sticky numbers to stick on the players backs and a Ref who would get confused as one of the Blue teams players and cause arguments - happy days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some nice units there and I think those Pendraken AWI figures are some of the best out there. Certainly Clibinarium does lovely work and some more units have just been added to the range.

    I did have Mark Urban's book on the British Fusiliers that was an excellent read and covered a lot of interesting background info too.

    Subuteo, now that takes me back! Never could get the hang of the game though:(. We did play a similar game where you pressed the players head and they kicked the ball, with the keeper on a stick and as you moved it they used to dive IIRC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve got Urban’s book. Agree it’s a good read.

      Are you thinking of ‘Striker’? A 5 aside game if I remember correctly. I had that. Some great games in those days.

      Delete
    2. That's the one! Funny I can remember this like it was yesterday but am damned if I can remember stuff from a a few days ago. The joys of getting older;).

      Delete
    3. Hey Steve....my wife is currently doing a course of study relating to dementia....I will ask her about your symptoms....😂

      Delete
  4. Very nice diminutive figures.

    Subbuteo...yes great stuff. I think I may have got a 1970?Workd Cupbedition as a starter, with other teams added ...definitely had The Bhoys, or Celts, and even remember "converting" one team to Ajax...white shirt with wide red stripe down the centre, Being the early seventi, I ask of added some "realism" by painting on longer hair on some player! Like Steve though, I don't think my friends and I played it properly, we didn't "flick to kick", we just used our whole finger and smacked the back of the base to propel the figure/ball in the desired direction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🎶Oh it’s a grand old team 🎵

      Funnily enough my brother had Celtic for some reason, as well as the standard red and blue shirted teams. I got, mumbles, Chelsea, cough.

      We had mini-leagues with his schoolmates, with the Subbuteo equivalent of imagi-nations. His was the aforesaid Portable Rovers, and mine was Crosskeys, following a glance at the local football leagues.

      Delete
    2. Wait for it, wait for it.........


      The Undertones! (Effen stupid Blogger!)

      Delete