Friday 5 March 2021

Twilight of the Soldier Kings / Cabin Fever

The rule book arrived very promptly on Tuesday (I only ordered it Sunday night). Unsurprisingly, there is a lot more in it than I picked up from the videos. And I did make some mistakes in my trial game on Sunday. For a start I forgot to do the Wing Morale test which might have meant that my arbitrarily calling time might not have been needed. I might say some more on the rule nuances that give more of a flavour of Frederician warfare.


I'm conscious that I have a few rulesets I've been meaning to try. Tigers at Minsk for one (I know, I know Jon, but it's not been a year yet since I said I'd try them). Also Neil Thomas' WWII rules from Wargaming - An Introduction. And last but not least monsieur le comte de Foy's updated Prinz Eugen rules.

I also had a bit of a 'Mrs Smoker'* moment at the weekend and ordered some discounted books from Naval & Military Press that might have fitted into the category of books I'd borrow from the small local library but wouldn't normally buy. But like Mrs Smoker and her piston engine purchase, I bought them because they were a bargain. And it's lockdown and the libraries are still closed.

* Middle-aged wargamer makes Monty Python reference.

Sticking with the 18th century I bought Vol I of Between Scylla and Charybdis by Marco Pagan. I don't know why I didn't think to get Vol II while I was at it. I had a quick look through it. Nothing has immediately made me think "I must do the Saxon army of the 1740s" so I think there won't me an order going to Heroics and Ros just yet.

Then back to the 17th century for bios of Henry Morgan and the Duke of Monmouth. Now the Monmouth Rebellion has been an itch I have resisted scratching ever since I first read Marlborough as Military Commander back in the 1970s. It wouldn't be too difficult to 're-convert' those War of the League of Augsburg troopers with a quick paint job, I have plenty of pikemen and 'clubmen' so I'm part way there....

Then there is the Last Army: The Battle of Stow-on-the-Wold and the End of the Civil War in the Welsh Marches 1646, another of those regional specific offerings from Helion. The Morgan book should at least be different from what I normally read, but it comes with the biggest risk of inspiring a new project. 

Finally, I'm waiting for the delivery of the Army of Frederick the Great by Christopher Duffy (the recent imprint by Helion). My original copy is the equivalent of the shabby Old Fritz in his later years. Still wearing the old stained coat from his glory years. The dust jacket has tears in it, the spine is coming off and there is the odd paint stain (I know, sacrilege) and the thing smells damp from when I had to store my books in a wet garage. I read the second edition before, and I seem to remember some significant revisions Duffy made to his opinions on the Prussian light troops. If I get 43 years out of this copy like I have with the last, it will be money well spent.

God knows when I will read all this stuff. The Stow book will be read fairly soon no doubt, and I won't struggle to open up Fritz's Army. What I need is two weeks off somewhere warm with someone happy to sit around but be available for walks when I want company.


24 comments:

  1. You made a number of interesting book buys. Like you, I enjoy collecting books for the library but God knows when I will get a chance to read them all. Like my Lead Pile, I figure I will work my way through them. I view my library as reference material not simply a collection of books for the sake of collection. Helion Publishing has been churning out a steady stream of very interesting series.

    Oh, you really ought to give Tigers at Minsk a try. I am sure Norm would enjoy seeing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give them a go. I’m not saying when though 😁

      Delete
  2. Interesting books and great reading ahead. The Duffy you mentioned is on my bookshelves in a well thumbed dust jacket bought in the first half of the eighties. The Saxon book has such an evocative title and cover.
    P.s one can never have too many Monty Python references

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a good title. Whichever way Augustus steered the ship it was bound to be disastrous.

      Delete
  3. Sadly I don't think N&MP carry the 2nd volume at a bargain price. However, Helion have a presence on Amazon as "Dagwoods Books" and often offer their titles for bargain prices. The 2nd volume is worth getting. If you don't like using Amazon, sign up to Helion's mailing list as they offer special discounts.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m on the Helion mailing list but I’ve not heard of Dagwood before. Thanks Neil. I often check Amazon and Abe if there’s something I want. So far N&MP has been the best source for bargains.

      Delete
    2. I got vol 1 from N&MP myself a few months ago, and I have just bought volume 2 from Paul Meekins (arrived today!) at quite a good discount..

      Delete
    3. I forgot about Meekins! Had something from him not long ago. Very good service too.

      Is this linked to your recent delivery from Neil?

      Delete
  4. I look forward to seeing more AARs with the rules and your thoughts on them. I'm always a sucker for good value books when I see them and they provide a nice tonic in these restricted times:). The Monmouth Rebellion will be gamed at some point and hopefully as part of a campaign...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must help fire up the imagination having the locations relatively close.

      Delete
    2. It really does as I can take a gentle walk to see where Monmouth's army camped at Keynsham, passing by a house of one of those accused of aiding the rebels.

      Delete
  5. The Saxon army book, in particular, looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably some areas that get overlooked in the Duffy books.

      Delete
  6. My group is keen to try "Twilight.."

    Also you will not be disappointed with Tigers at Minsk! Recommendation- try the "follow the elefants" scenario first! It's a fun challenge for the Germans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noted. Will look into that scenario. I have next to no armour though as my Axis force of choice are the Finns.

      In my opinion Twilight is well worth trying. Relatively simple and easy to pick up but period appropriate.

      Delete
    2. You wont need any tanks for the scenario! Just some MGs and a handful of squads. Eager to hear of your thoughts on the rules!

      Delete
  7. I do look at my unread books pile(s) and wonder if I will live long enough... :)
    I'll be interested to hear more about the 'Twilight..' rules, I have been meaning to pick up the original Pike and Shot period set from the excellent P&S Society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen the videos on YouTube? There are ones for each of the sets in the Twilight series.

      Delete
  8. A nice collection of titles....like you, I have had a hankering for the Monmouth Rebellion for years...possibly even since watching an HTV West kids tv series about it way back in the early seventies....and Barry Hilton and his League of Augsburg etc has not helped dampen the appeal, damn him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There’s always been something intriguing me about the Monmouth Rebellion. I’d like to find out more about the ‘why’ as well as the ‘what’.

      Delete
  9. Books never go off (within reason) and even if one only flicks through them to find points of reference or just to enjoy the look and feel of them, they are worth it, for mine. You'll read them when the need/desire is there and they will be to hand!
    What did you think of Twilight of the Soldier Kings? I was really impressed with reading and my first outing of Twilight of the Sun King.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about the durability of books. No rush to read them. Though a bit of me feels guilty about it.

      I enjoyed my run-through of Twilight of the Soldier Kings without actually having the rules. I gone through them since my copy arrived and can see there are a lot more nuances to them. Hopefully I can have another go soon, this time with the rules to hand!

      Delete
  10. As I have only got the first edition Duffy from a local charity shop,(back when they were open!) I'll stick with it,after all I am not starting a new period, I do remember very nearly buying it in a second hand bookshop in Nottingham in 1985 but bought a book on the war of the Spanish succession, more my period, books don't go off and I don't have anything like the guilt about books that I do about unpainted figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe my lead pile is smaller than yours. If it were bigger I might feel guilty about that.

      Delete