Wednesday 31 March 2021

Face-to-face gaming returns?

The prospect of face-to-face gaming hoved* into view the other day, when the eldest announced he had bought a train ticket to come darn sarf for a few days. Will see if he can fit it in. We should be reasonably safe from contamination as he is frequently tested at work (at a virus testing centre!) and the weather is set fair for Friday so maybe a game outside is possible.

I may also get a solo game in this afternoon as I’m enjoying a day off, using up the last of 2020’s leave allocation before I lose it.

The first task this afternoon though is to finalise details, and place the order for the war room/office/yoga studio/teenage hangout den.

To add to the positive feeling at Schloß Nundanket, the pool re-opened this week so I’m slowly getting up to speed with swimming again and cycling. I bought some porridge at the caff, but as you’re not allowed to eat it there I stopped off at a little beach on the Thames.



The water looks tempting, and not as cold as I expected. But still too early in the year!

* does this word get used in any other context? It seems a bit like ‘wend’ as in ‘I shall wend my way’, wend being the present tense form of went, before we adopted ‘go’.

14 comments:

  1. A return to F2F gaming, swimming, AND cycling? Things are looking up for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers-crossed on the gaming front, but the other two are in the bag. For now.

      Delete
  2. Going swimming in the sea tomorrow, from our local beach. Dreading it. Lol. Hope you get a game in with the offspring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! As long as you don’t have a dodgy ticker 😆. The earliest I’ve been in the sea, or any open water for that matter, is May.

      Delete
  3. Too much excitement for you at once! Things indeed looking up! A tad quieter in these parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw don’t say that, you’ve got me worried now. “You don’t deserve it. Nothing good will come of it”.

      Delete
    2. I meant I was doing less, not anything to do with Covid here and where you are.

      Delete
    3. Don’t worry. It’s more to do with the little doubt in my own head. It’s an annoying little fella but it’s served me quite well over the years.

      Delete
  4. Hove to - a nautical term for facing into the wind and (usually big) waves? Having spent several days in that unpleasant position it's not something I've forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A quick search of the interweb tells me it is the past participle of heave. I bet there was lots of heaving.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with the face to face, some normality would be nice. I’m afraid my ability at languages crashed at o’level when I failed french.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt. I think 2021 will still be a write off in terms of a complete return to normality. As for languages, traditional school lessons are a poor way of teaching them in my opinion. I’m perfectly fluent in English and didn’t need to know what the grammar was, or learn verb tables.

      Delete
  6. Hopefully your visitor will have time to play with his dad! Nice images of the Thames but I am not convinced it would be a pleasant experience swimming in it in April!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re right it would be something to be endured. And the pleasure would come afterwards. Actually you can get euphoric in cold water but it’s a double-edged sword.

      Delete