Friday 29 March 2024

Vanha harmaa pillitesti

Your Old Uncle Nundanket brings you the gift of some mellow, if melancholic, music this Easter. It’s been a long time since I treated you so, and you deserve it. 

You may recognise the tune, if not the specific words. The singer, the late Topi Sorsakoski*, had, in my opinion, a super voice and imbued the song with such meaning that you don’t have to understand the words.

https://youtu.be/0IrTUI1owLg?si=oRv2eci3TpphcT6e

* not his real name, I believe. The surname translates as Duck Rapids.

Lyrics below so you can sing along. And practice rrrolling your Rrrs.

Kitara soi: the guitar plays. Other keywords: 

surua: sorrow. 

Suru vain: only sadness 

Sointi sen nyt minulle tumma on: its sound to me is dark now

Think you get the picture.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this , l am reminded of The Shadows. Makes me realise there is a whole world of music out there l have yet to discover…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome Alan. It does remind me of the Shadows. It’s that guitar sound. That style of guitar music (Rautalanka: Iron wire) is still quite common over in Finland. Not so much a style of music, more a style of playing. Lots more on YouTube if you search for ‘rautalanka’. All kinds of music genres get the treatment.
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Not a style known to me, much preferring Sibelius and 'Finlandia', which I find very soothing to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you weren’t dancing around the house with Mrs J then Steve? I’ll see if I can find something more soothing.
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Excellent, nicely mournful, I saw the Leningrad cowboys at festival once they were great fun!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I can imagine. Don’t think the Red Army choir would sing with them these days.
      Chris

      Delete