Sunday 1 October 2023

Rationalising

''Rationalising" is one of those euphemisms that emerged in the 80s for 'cuts' and it is in that sense that I am thinking right now. I don't have a massive inventory of toy soldiers, and I have been thinking about expanding it. My first thought is always to look at 'the lead mountain' to see what I can do there before I can justify to myself more spending.

I've worked through my 6mm SYW pile to the point where I don't have enough for any more units. Just a few odds and sods. The ECW 'pile' is similar. I have a few civilians and some petardiers. And some officers, drummers and the odd pikeman, but nothing to make a unit out of. The AWI collection has nothing whatsoever, unpainted. I'll say that again. "The AWI collection has nothing whatsoever unpainted".

Then there's the Napoleonics. Again, nothing to paint. There are various painted figures, donated by Tony 'Max Foy', which could be based up into a unit. It might require some re-painting. But here's the thing, I haven't gamed with them in 3 years. I have an Anglo-Portuguese-Spanish army and a late war Prussian army. But no French, save the aforementioned painted loose figures. I could look at the viability of re-painting the Prussians. Obviously the biggest issue is the shape of the shakos (and all with covers on), and the flat caps amongst the Landwehr. Food for thought. If I decide not to do that I will seriously think about moving the collection on.


No./base

No. Bases

Napoleonics



Baccus infantry

24-28

63

Baccus cavalry

9

24

Baccus artillery

1 gun

16*

Baccus generals

1

55

* about half with limber teams.


Finally there's the WWII Finns and Soviets. Again, I hardly use these. There are a lot more unpainted models here. I sorted through them, catalogued them and decided what I would definitely keep and paint, and what was genuinely surplus. The surplus will definitely be moved on one way or another. Comment below if you're interested.

Description

# Figures/heavy weapon teams/vehicles

Cat.No. (packs are not necessarily full)

Make

Soviets in winter coats and fur hats

40

?

Magister Militum?

Finnish senior officers in coats and winter hats

4

Fin 2

Pendraken

Soviet officers various hats

10

W258?

Magister Militum

Soviet LMG team (teams of 2

9

W257

Magister Militum

Soviet light mortar teams (bases of 2)

4

W251

Magister Militum

Soviet LMG teams of 2

7

?

Magister Militum?

Soviet heavy mortars (teams of 3)

2

W256

Magister Militum

Soviet Naval infantry

11

SV19?

Pendraken?

Soviet MMG teams of 2

7

W252

Magister Militum

RCW Red Army inf in Budyanovka

23

RCW1

Pendraken

Soviet AT guns (teams of 3)

2

SV17

Pendraken

Soviet early war light tank

3

?

?

Soviet T28

1

?

?

Soviet BT7

1

?

Pendraken?

Soviet KV1

2

?

Pendraken?

Finns in winter coats

37

?

?

Finns in Summer uniforms

35

?

?

Finnish MMG (team of 2)

2

?

?

Finnish heavy mortars (teams of 3)

2

?

?

Finnish AT gun (team of 3)

1

?

?

Finnish AT gun (team of 3)

1

?

?

I was originally thinking of the Winter War, which is why I've got some of the earlier AFVs and RCW infantry, but the thought of creating all those leafless broad leaf trees put me off! Most of the Soviets are in  post-1940 kit.

Oh, I nearly forgot. In the interests of full disclosure, I do have various samples of Punic War, Colonial and late C17th pikemen unpainted. The latter for the 'bateaux project' I mentioned a while back.

Postscript

I 'discovered' that I also have a pack (50) of Pathan infantry and a pack (20) of Tartar cavalry bought from H&R many years ago for an 18th century Ottoman project that never got off the ground. [Now there's a thought]. Also some Prussian grenadiers and  some Austrian grenadiers. Collectively nearly enough for a battalion of grenadiers (based on pennies for use as markers in my home brewed rules). But which nationality? I seem to have enough Prussian, Austrian and Anglo-Hanoverian grenadiers. Options include:

  • Rochow Fusileers (Saxon) would involve cutting mitres down, but they have nice green coats. Fought with the French.
  • Saxon converged grenadiers - white coats with mitres for a change!
  • Reichsarmee combined grenadier battalion (which could be a mixture of bluecoats in mitres and whitecaps in bearskins!). Think they may have only combined grenadiers later in the war.
  • Something from the WAS like Piedmontese or Spanish (assuming they had grenadier battalions), but they'd be odd ones out.
I also have c.40 mounted officers, also based on pennies as 'markers'. These could be 'converted' into cavalry of some description. Enough for 2 'brigades'.

10 comments:

  1. Having NO figures to paint? Preposterous! I do admire your discipline, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite none. Not included in the above are some Russkies and a Finnish AT gun/team which I’m going to do.
      Chris/Nundanket

      Delete
  2. I think you should bite the bullet and do the Winter War - leafless trees are easily solved:

    https://www.modelscenerysupplies.co.uk/scatter-flock-ground-cover-trees-and-bushes/model-trees/tree-armatures

    Besides which those Magister Militum are bound to accumulate value now they are closing down.....

    Assuming you still carry on with your plan, what do you intend adding to the inventory? ☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get thee behind me Satan!
      Thanks for the link to the tree armatures Neil. Finding ones the right size is not easy.
      On the list for consideration are the Punic Wars (10mm) and NW Frontier/Great Game (probably 20mm as the idea is to make it personality led).
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Always good to review the unpainted collections. When I do that I often find stuff I forgot I had stashed away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I didn’t have anything that I wasn’t aware of. But because I didn’t open ALL my boxes I forgot I have 50 6mm Pathans that I bought in a previous Millennium as part of an Ottoman project that never got off the ground. OK I know there were no Pathans in the Ottoman army but…..
      Chris

      Delete
  4. I really need to sort through my many and varied boxes of figures, to see what I actually have! To be honest, most of them will in reality never get used, given that I've moved down the ImagiNations path for all but my WWII games. A clear out could be very cathartic too, but I just need to find them time, the motivation and then to try to sell the stuff, the latter being the biggest hurdle I fear...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on the last hurdle. Not so much that it would be difficult to say goodbye, I just don’t fancy the aggravation.
      Chris

      Delete
  5. Terribly restrained of you! I do know all my collections as counting them is how I send myself to sleep!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be my upbringing 😆

      Delete