Sunday 12 March 2023

It's all gone quiet over here

Since an initial rush of wargaming activity in January and to a lesser extent February, things have been quiet at the Schloß Nundanket. I'm not having one of those periods when I've lost my mojo. A number of 'real life' things have brought this about.

I've had a couple of spells of ill-health. Nothing serious. A mega cold, then a bad back, then another 'mega cold'. The second 'cold' is looking more and more like another type of coronavirus. One we've all become familiar with over the last THREE years. I say this, because, in my usual way, I treated it as a cold and that was it. My wife, who works in an environment where she indirectly comes into contact with vulnerable people, has to test herself regularly. With the same symptoms I had, but a few days afterwards, she tested herself on Wednesday and the dreaded line came up on the little plastic 'doobrie'. So I tested, and there was no line but a very feint blob (maybe the infamous 'leftie blob') or it may have been the light. The test cam up negative next morning, but I was pretty much over my symptoms by then.

Then, I recently had to move to a new office for work, so there was a bit of prep for that, and eventually the big day, and a change of commute style. Back from driving, to catching the train. No biggie, but a significant change. Same company, but new location. And boy, is it nice. No names, no pack drill. But bloody hell, I'm chuffed. However, without going into details, this has affected my 'technical solution' for remote gaming, so that's probably off the agenda until I get some new kit. Many apologies to those waiting for me to get promised games organised.

After a period without any new books I picked up a couple of 'analogue' books and a couple of digital ones. The real books were The Campaigns of Sir William Waller, 1642-1645 by Laurence Spring, and The Anatomy of Victory: Battle Tactics 1689-1763, by Brent Nosworthy. Don't ask me what the digital books were - I've forgotten and will need to look up my Helion orders!




The book on Waller was very enjoyable overall. Waller is probably my ECW hero. Pretty successful, politic, astute and honourable. What's not to like, as a certain podcasting historian says. 

The Nosworthy book is a bit harder going in my opinion. Ironically, this is something I've been looking for, for YEARS. Clearly in high demand as the price is usually ridiculous. I paid c £40 for a paperback, second-hand copy. Still, it's packed with learning. It breaks down the period into several sub-periods, where tactics gradually changed, so is a very useful book for a wargamer into the 18th century. A distinguished blogger based in North Britain once asked me what was the difference between the WSS and SYW. Well this explains it better than I ever could. Trouble is, at times, there's a bit too much on what appears to my mind, minute differences in methods of deployment (and 'ployment') and firing. From what I read, it looks like the systems were over-complicated at times and it's no wonder generals didn't like to risk their troops in battle given the amount of training that must have been necessary to carry out some of these evolutions.

I've also consciously cut down my hobby time, because some weeks, between remote games, football going, swimming etc I felt like I hadn't seen much of the Margravina. A chap needs to remember on which side the margravial bread is buttered! This makes it sound a chore, but it isn't. Your correspondent is happy to admit to his uxoriousness, and time spent with the Margravina is both pleasurable and educational. She is truly a product of our enlightened age, and on our walks entertains me with her knowledge of horticulture and the naming system developed by that Swedish cove Karl von Linné.

Now finally we come to sport. This has also been pre-occupying me. Many of you will know with what affection I hold the Mariners. Not those upstart rounders players from Seattle. The original Mariners. And how excited I was by their progression in the Football Association Challenge Cup. The excitement went up a notch on Wednesday a week ago, when Grimsby Town (the said Mariners) knocked out Southampton of the Premier League at their own ground. That's 3 divisions or, 64 places in the League, difference. Grimsby rode their luck at times, but came out worthy winners. Part of the 'luck' was playing at a Premier League stadium, because it mean the Video Assistant Referee ("VAR") was in operation. In League Two games, a couple of the decisions that went our way because of VAR, would not have been favourable. A handball (leading to a penalty) and an offside (leading to a disallowed goal) would most likely have been missed by the officials on the pitch.

I was lucky to be in the crowd that night and never has the term "Twelfth Man" been more apt. For those not up on football, the team on the pitch has 11 players, and the supporters, if particularly vocal in their support could be said to inspire the team to the extent it's like having a 12th player. I also truly believe that participants in such crowd singing/chanting get the mental health benefits of 'communal singing' you often hear about these days. A cracking night, and not just because of the result. Meeting up with family and friends on these occasions is a big part of it. 3 cousins and 3 of their offspring turned up, and I had the company of Lincolnshire Tom (designated driver) there and back. Good stuff. The result was a competition record (beating 5 teams from a higher division in succession - since it started in 1872, no other team has done this) and it means Grimsby are in the last eight of the competition for the first time since 1939. I prefer to ignore the omens of that. 84 years makes it truly a once in a lifetime event. Back in the late 30s, Grimsby were one of the better teams in the top division (believe it or not) and changes in the financial structure of the game since have meant the chances of repeating this have become lower and lower.



OK, maybe it was unfair having a Fishman from the planet Gadidae on the team.

Next up is Brighton and Hove Albion (we're so good they're having to send two towns against us 😉), again away at their ground on 19th March. Tickets sold out overnight after going on sale after a match on Tuesday evening. Fortunately, due to my foresight in the Summer, I was able to get a ticket again, but many people I know weren't able to. This is a bit of a dampener as, for me, a lot of the satisfaction comes from sharing the experience and having those shared memories to look back on and talk about in years to come. Still I'm going, and thanks to paternal generosity, Offspring Number 1*, will also be going. For his generation, who have only seen the all time low point of the last two decades, it is a rare chance to experience the good times. Chances are, this is our Arnhem, but .... but.....as every wargamer knows, you always have a chance to roll a six**.



* Offsprings #2-4 are not interested.

** The odds are more like getting a 19 on a D20, but that's not so poetic.

20 comments:

  1. Well, this update helps to explain what has become of you. Hope everything settles down and hobby time can make a turn toward normalcy.

    On remote gaming, are you out completely or simply out of the hosting role?

    As for Nosworthy, it is a classic. Use it as a reference and not a light read. Puts me to sleep every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jon. I’m probably just out from hosting for now.
      I know what you mean about Nosworthy. 😆 His book on Napoleonic tactics felt similar.
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Awesome result for Grimsby! No reason you can't go the whole way if you have come this far! The team will definitely believe that they can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The realist in me thinks that, we’ve had our day Ben. But the team will absolutely give their best until the final whistle. One thing we’ve discovered about this team since the playoffs last season, is it isn’t over until it’s over.
      Chris

      Delete
  3. I have never had the courage to tackle Nosworthy or even flick through it. Hope you and yours feel better soon. Good to hear what you have been doing.
    No worries re hosting, a suitable time will indeed come .
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that there a quite a lot of people who feel like that about Nosworthy!
      Chris

      Delete
  4. Don’t sweat it matey, things’ll settle down soon enough on the gaming front. Good to know that that you are recovering from your various illnesses too. Never managed more than two chapters of the Nosworthy book…so I’m clearly in good company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems EVERYONE struggles with these books. Glad it’s not just me.
      Chris

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about your health travails of late:(. Famous last words I've been relatively OK this Winter.

    The books sound good but I find Nosworthy hard going. His Nappies tactics was interesting but not a page turner and I could only read whilst completely wide wake in the morning. anything other than that and my head would drop as sleep descended upon me. Compare him to Duffy and the difference is clear!

    I too try to spend the evenings with SWMBO, given that she is the main breadwinner now and have all day, generally speaking for game stuff. Some evenings I can paint if she's watching sport or something that she loves and holds no interest to me.

    Talking of sport, glad to hear your team are doing well and fingers crossed going forward in the cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. The Margravina seems to have turned a page this morning. And I don’t mean on the Nosworthy. She’d probably find even Duffy boring, strange creature that she is!
      Chris

      Delete
  6. Good luck with that football 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. It’s in the lap of the cods.
      Chris

      Delete
  7. Hope you're feeling better - I think we are all suffering more colds/flu, ironically because lockdowns etc meant we did not encounter the viruses so much, and thus did not acquire immunity to them.
    Good for the Mariners - if they get past Brighton, will they get a REALLY big team? That would be quite something!
    I have the Nosworthy book, I must have bought it over 20 years ago and I see it cost me £20 even then! Have I read it? Well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only two really big clubs are Manchesters Utd and City. Having said that, the others are all big in comparison.
      Chris

      Delete
  8. I take it you have your inflatable Harry Haddock ready to go? The locals here are very excited about the whole thing. Mind you excitement is rising in Chez Elenderil as the mighty Blackburn Rovers are also still in the FA Cup mix.

    I've managed to avoid a second go around with the Coronavirus which must not be named but at times since Christmas did wonder how I managed it. Hopefully you are starting to feel better now. The Nosworthy sounds interesting but hard going. I have just finished Shelby Foote's three volume American Civil War history which is interesting but not as readable as Bruce Catton so I know how you feel about Nosworthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll be blow up fishless. I’ve spent far too much this season 😆
      Yes, Blackburn are still in the mix. You must be thinking this is as great a chance as any to win the Cup, with two other Championship sides, only two of the Big Clubs, and the little Fishy People.
      Funnily enough, I’d imagined Shelby Foote to be an entertaining writer. Based solely on his accent 😆.
      All the best.
      Chris

      Delete
  9. I had been wondering why it has taken you so long to regale us with the heroic doings of Grimsby Town FC! It's going to be really interesting to see what happens on the 19th.
    As tour your latest reading, I must sat, I just had to read the surname Nisworthy to form the impression it would not be a gripping read! Sometimes, experts can go into just a bit TOO much detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me too well. You better hope Town don't win on Sunday, because I'll be back with more. 😄

      Delete
  10. Hope you all feel better soon, the Waller book sounds interesting, one of my favourite commanders of the conflict, I'll pass on the other one, I'm too much of a lightweight! Great cup run, 90 minutes, do you feel lucky?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. Recovered and raring to go on Sunday. Ticket arrived today, as did my son from Liverpool. I saw someone calculated we’ve got a 4.13% chance. Spurious science, but sounds about right to me.
      Chris

      Delete