Sunday 22 January 2023

More ECW archaeology on the telly

I came across this article in the Guardian online (yes I’m a tofu knitter). There’s a programme which covers it on BBC2 on Sunday 22nd (today) at 8PM GMT.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/21/coleshill-towers-remains-history-english-civil-war?utm_source=newsshowcase&utm_medium=discover&utm_campaign=CCwQ6oK1wrOip4kqGM-RgsLGlP3WswEqJwgwEMeB3Z3ftYXAHBj__6mv7dXGq5QBKg4IACoGCAowl6p7MN-zCQ&utm_content=bullets

Post Script

Whilst the Guardian article manages to avoid that inaccurate trope of the Civil War (“between Charles I and Cromwell”) it adds a new one. Between “forces loyal to Charles I and Parliamentarians trying to topple him”. Agh!!

10 comments:

  1. "Tofu knitter"? Your gonna have to explain this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor attempt at humour. The Guardian has the reputation of being a ‘woke’ newspaper. All vegans in sandals and self-knitted jumpers eating yoghurt.
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Most interesting, thanks for the link.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a snippet of this on the Digging For Britain programme recently and was amazed at how new the buried foundation looked, plus how substantial they were. So I will try and remember to check in on this tonight. Thanks for the 'heads up' Chris:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Steve

      Delete
    2. I realised this is the same programme I watched on iplayer a week or so ago. They had the lead archaeologist on Radio 4 a few days ago, talking about the further info they have gleaned, such as 3 different moats, earlier manor houses etc. I hope they do a special on it at some point as it's pretty spectacular as it is.

      Delete
  4. Thanks will try and watch it on catch-ups 👍

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes read about this in another outlet ( even though I'm a Guardian reading media type!) Good to have the link though!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tofu Knitting, that made me chuckle. I saw the digging for Britain piece on this and thought that there were some generalisations that I’d like to see clarified a bit. But overall a nice find.

    David aka Elenderil of The small but perfectly formed blog.

    ReplyDelete