Monday, 28 September 2026

Flying Tiger, Hidden Dragoon

Thanks to Bob Cordery of the Wargame Miscellany blog, I heard about a useful product being sold in Flying Tiger, Copenhagen.  It's called Decorative Moss and sells for £4 for a piece 25 x 35cm.  As luck would have it my wife was going to be passing the local branch last Friday so she was given a requisition to procure a piece.

When I saw it in the flesh I immediately thought "foliage".


As you can see it's a few mm high (these are 6mm figures on a 2 or 3mm thick mdf base. Maybe cut into strips it and stuck on a base it could be an orchard. 



Here it is placed over a CD case - I'm thinking some sort of 'contraption underneath could raise it to the height of trees for a wood. Maybe the piece of 'moss' could be removed to place troops in the wood.


Next to a 3mm scale fortress model. For this scale it could perform service on its own (cut into irregular shapes).

It could do service as crops (cabbage/lettuce?) for larger scales. Or even moss roofs for Dark Age Early Medieval (or '45 Rising period) houses.

Very useful stuff. I think I'll buy some more while stocks last.

30 comments:

  1. Looks great. I don't usially volunteer a visit to IKEA, but mught have to now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKEA? Not sure if they have it there. It’s another Skandi shop Ray.😁
      Chris

      Delete
    2. Oh, gawd knows where I got Ikea from then????

      Delete
  2. I think it was remarked Bob will cause stocks to run out....
    Your "contraption" has already been used; a ring of painted cardboard or matchsticks or coctailsticks with a "lid" covered in lichen / chopped foam flock or similar.
    For larger scales it would make a good marsh or bog....

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was something like that I had in mind Neil.
      It’ll be funny in Flying Tiger when in amongst the young female crafters and knickknack buyers there’s a bunch of old blokes.
      Chris

      Delete
    2. All buying the same thing.....☺
      Neil

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It’s worth popping in that store every now and again as occasionally they have useful items. In the past I bought ‘snow’ covered fir tree Christmas decorations and Jenga-style blocks: the latter for holiday wargames when I’m in Spain.
      Chris

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Certainly useful for quick ground cover/foliage.
      Chris

      Delete
  5. Interesting product , could work well as woods for your scale. I’m tempted myself to buy some. I see an old favourite book in the background by Peter Connolly perhaps? Still on my shelves after all these years.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the Connolly book. Leant to me by David-in-Suffolk. Ready to go back to him at the Other Partizan in a couple of weeks.
      Chris

      Delete
    2. Yep that's the book. Ashamed to say I have barely started on 'Lost Battles' which Chris leant me in return!

      Delete
  6. Cracking tip, Chris! It’s amazing what you can adapt for the tabletop when you look at high-street craft bits with a wargamer's eye.

    That texture has so much potential across different scales—from dense crops and thatched roofs right up to 6mm forestry and low scrubland. Using it as a lift-off canopy over a hidden support frame is a proper clever solution. In fact, I'm definitely going to grab a sheet or two myself to give it a trial! Great requisition work by the wife!

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d better send my “stores officer” down to get some more before they sell out.
      Chris

      Delete
    2. Haha, you'd best get her deployed on the double, Chris! Before the rest of the blogging fraternity descend on Flying Tiger and clean them out of stock!

      Looking forward to seeing how your tree canopy project turns out on the workbench.

      Delete
  7. I'll have to try and make a visit before they sell out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get yourself down there Richard!
      Chris

      Delete
  8. Pot toppers, look in seasonal plastic plants section in a hobby lobby or Joann fabric or Dollar Store in the US. Great looking bog in 28mm games. They would be use full in 6mm games as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tips for sources. Probably cheaper than the store I used, not that there’s a huge amount to save.
      Chris

      Delete
  9. This product, or something very similar, is available on Temu too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt a damn sight cheaper on Temu too. Handier for you too as I assume our Danish retailer hasn’t made it to NZ yet.
      Chris

      Delete
  10. Could make a very colourful merkin. Don’t google it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must know some strange women. 😮You naughty little minkey!

      Delete
    2. Bloody hell Mark. I should have worked it out: idol curiosity got the better of me 🙁 I am pleased that you are raising it to the height of a wood Chris!

      Delete
  11. Good find, I will look for some of that too.. I think Richard of Posties Rejects made 6mm forests in a similar way (foliage mat on supports) at Broadside a couple of years ago, it worked well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like the sort of thing I had in mind.

      Delete
  12. A nice find there Chris and i might see if I can find something around here to see it in the flesh as it were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's 2 stores in the Bristol area and 1 in Bath Steve.

      Delete