Thursday, 1 October 2026

This week I 'arve mostly been ...listening to...

... Helion Military History Podcasts.

 https://www.helion.co.uk/helion-military-history-podcasts.php

I came across this very recently. It's only been running for a few months. Every episode I've listened to so far has been a cracker. There's only one I've got to finish. None of them have been in my primary area of interest, but I've found them fascinating nonetheless. Podcasts, I find, are a good way to dip my toes into a subject area that I wouldn't normally read about. Typically they are about "commute length" so that makes them ideal for journeys to/from work.

As you were.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw18OafeQiM

18 comments:

  1. These Helion pods look interesting. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top recommendation, Keith! Helion always cover some fascinating niche topics, so I’ll be bookmarking that link for sure!

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That tendency to find niche subjects gets mentioned a lot in the podcasts. It's almost a founding principle.

      Delete
  3. I keep meaning to listen/watch the WotR one, so maybe this will prompt me to get round to it! I tend to watch podcasts in the afternoon as a bit of a relaxing break from the day-to-day pressures of being a parent carer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I started listening to podcasts while painting a few years ago. Always after new ones as some occasionally wind me up so much I have to switch them off!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. There are often annoying features in lots of ones I listen too. Though not often enough or egregious enough to make me turn off. It's usually the adverts that get me.

      Delete
  5. Good find, I never knew about these podcasts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Chris. I'll give them a try when I'm next painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Painting! What's that? Haven't done any for ages.

      Delete
  7. Great way to fill that commute. Don’t envy you having to commute mind you. Ball ache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't complain. It's a means to an end. And it has a limited timespan. And is in a lovely location. Worst part is picking up germs and bugs from the other people who will selfishly insist on travelling when I do.

      Delete
  8. I will give them a try Chris. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Chris if I get some time I’ll check them out 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Matt. I'm currently half way through the Barbarossa one and shaking my head a lot!

      Delete