The game was played earlier exposing some gaping hole in my home-brew rules. Nevermind, I had fun.
If ever there was a game of chance, this was it. First of all I diced for whether the the Parliamentarian force would march in one column or split up. The Dice Gods determined that it should stay together. Then I diced for choice of route. The middle route was selected.
Colonel Dove's force and the wagon train it was accompanying was preceded by the dragoons, then the wagons, gun, infantry and one squadron of horse followed up the rear. The other squadron of horse headed over the fields to guard the flank on the column. Dove had been warned of Royalist incursions into the area. No certainty of direction, but the most likely route was from the north.
 |
| The column makes its way south then east. The dragoons have trotted on ahead to secure the junction with the sunken lane. |
On the fourth turn the Royalists appeared. I diced for which side of the each unit would appear on (1 west; 2 south; 3 east, 4-6 north). Then I diced for how far along the unit would arrive from the chosen side. The commanded shot arrived from the south, between Rust Hall and Puddleby. Another squadron arrived north of Puddleby with a galloper gun. The rest arrived from the north, between the sunken lane and the Puddleby side of the stream, except for one unit that arrived from the east by Little Pottering.
 |
| Yellow = Parliament; Blue = Royalist |
 |
| The Parliamentarian rearguard squadron deploys into line and the Green Regiment forms a hedgehog to block the road when a Royalist horse unit appears from the west. The foot to the front left are the 'locals' waiting for an opportune time to declare for the King.
|
 |
| Just as the dragoons dismounted at the junction of the road and sunken lane, a Royalist squadron comes thundering down the lane. The flanking Roundhead squadron is not able to intervene in time due to the high banks of the lane. Fortunately for the dragoons the enemy is restricted to a narrow frontage and they get a shot off before the cavalry crash into them. Nevertheless the cavalry get the better of the encounter and the dragoons give ground then rout. |
 |
| In the west the Royalists reach the bridge from two directions. Potts' Red Regiment forms up on the edge of Puddleby whilst Potts' horse trot down the road to Rust Hall to try to catch the Royalist musketeers. |
 |
| The Royalist cavalry who have seen off the dragoons surprisingly do not hare off in pursuit. The train guard firelocks to their left shoot some of the cavaliers. |
 |
| At Little Pottering the Royalist squadron has failed to work its way through the village and is caught in the flank by the Parliamentarian rear guard. This is when they are first pushed back before routing. Whilst this is all going on the locals fail to throw their lot in with the Royalists. |
 |
| Royalist commander Sir Clive and his lifeguard of horse climb up the bank of the sunken lane to challenge the Roundhead flank guard. After a brief action Sir Clive's men are defeated then finished off. Brave Sir Clive quits the field with his routed men. The loss of command was to hamper the Royalists thereafter. |
 |
| On the west side of the stream a squadron of Royalists have charged Potts' squadron to save the musketeers. Potts' men countercharge and rout the Cavaliers pursuing them to the bridge, despite being outnumbered. |
 |
| Meanwhile the Royalist dragoons hold off Potts' Red Regiment with honour |
 |
| At Rust Hall, Sir John Smythe has finally sobered up enough to lead his men onto the field of battle. Whereupon first his foot regiment and then the levies are charged and routed. Before long Smythe's men are all sheltering in the Hall's grounds with the dragoons. All three routed by the same cavalier squadron. Unfortunately for the Royalists, the cumulative effect of these actions is to wear them down. Eventually the combined efforts of the firelocks and Smythe's musketeers finish off the cavaliers as an effective unit. |
 |
| Having finished off the Royalist cavalry the Roundhead rear guard and the Green Regiment catch up with the train. |
 |
| The remaining intact Royalist cavalry squadron retreat from the sunken lane to meet up with the commanded shot (right of the picture) |
 |
| The Puddleby garrison hold the bridge at both ends whilst a depleted cavalier squadron looks on. There appeared to be little chance of the Royalists succeeding at this point so I called it a day. Colonel Dove's luck held out, especially in the cavalry combats. The Roundheads didn't lose a single round of horse v horse melee. |
That was an enjoyable, if chaotic game. I need to tidy up a lot of stuff in the rules if I am to use them again.
PS I'll be heading up to Newark on Sunday for the Other Partizan. If there is any kind of blogger meet up (I note that Ray, and no doubt some other Rejects will be there) I'd love to hear about it.
An enjoyable account of a fun game, thanks for sharing it. Enjoy the show and take some pictures.
ReplyDeleteAlan Tradgardland
Cheers Alan. I will take some piccies on Sunday and post any 1/2 decent ones next week.
DeleteAll the best.
Chris
Great report and splendid looking game.
ReplyDeleteThank you Richard. It took longer to put together than play. Pondering a re-run but have some busy-ness over the next couple of weeks so may go the way of the aborted re-run of Rocroi.
DeleteChris
Chris, there's no formal meet up unlike Salute. Individual bloggers try to catch each other - with all the recognition difficulties.
ReplyDeleteThe main draw back is lack of room to meet up as it's usually very crowded. Outside is possible, but weather dependent.
Neil
Cheers for the info Neil. Mr David knows you, so if you’re there and spots you we’ll try to hook up.
DeleteChris
I'm sure the wonders of mobile phone technology will help at Partizan - I think I have both your numbers!
DeleteWhat is this wizardry of which you speak?!
DeleteChris
A great looking game Chris with lots of excitement. Very wise of the villagers in putting off their declaration for the King.... wait until he is winning 😁
ReplyDeleteThanks Ben. With respect to the villagers, “discretion is the better part of Valerie (though all of her is nice)”.
DeleteChris
😂😂
DeleteChris, good seeing your ECW armies out on maneuvers. I would be interested in reading a follow up on your design. What worked, what didn’t work, and how to evolve your rules into something that better fits into your design philosophy. Enjoy the show on Sunday.
ReplyDeleteHi Jon. The rules probably need a complete re-write as they took some ideas from a published set and tacked on some ideas of my own. A bit like welding two halves of two different bike frames together. OK for racing against yourself but not against others.
DeleteThe basic philosophy behind my additions is that once people start doing something they keep doing it until physically stopped or until you can coral them into doing something different.
The other ‘innovation’ was that a unit cannot perform two actions in a turn. So, for example, a move into contact happens in one turn and the fight the next. This creates some problems with sequencing that need to be resolved. More on this another day when I get a chance.
Chris
Even if the rules didn't quite work out, the important thing was you got a game in, enjoyed it and Parliament won too;)! The scenario does look good and maybe one day I might get to give it or something akin to it a run out, now I have a few more baggage horses painted up. Still no idea on making the show yet, but you never know...
ReplyDeleteThe Roundheads got lucky with the cav v cav combats. That was probably the difference.
DeleteI enjoyed the randomness of it all, which is what I (one?) look for in a solo game.
Chris
PS I can understand not driving up from your neck of the woods, having to skirt the Brumagem conurbation.
DeleteI can go cross country so tend to avoid any major BUA's, except when I have to skirt round Coventry. Things looking up on attending the show...
DeleteSafe trip if you do go!
DeleteGreat looking game, the sinken lane worked well I thought, sounds like it had everything in it, apart from an uncontrolled Royalist horse charge,!
ReplyDeleteBest Iain
That was a stroke of luck about the sunken lane. I might look to see if I have enough DVD cases to create a raised ‘ground level’ so streams and lanes can be at a lower level as a rule rather than exception.
DeleteWill try harder to provide uncontrolled charges another time. The cavaliers didn’t get near to charging amongst the wagons thanks to the dragoons that got ridden down.
Chris
Thanks for sharing; a game that doesn't quite work out often prompts reconsideration of the rules, more often than not, for the better!
ReplyDeleteIndeed. The key thing is action.
DeleteChris
Interesting and enjoyable battle report.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
Thanks Roger. You’re welcome.
DeleteChris